Re: [OM] (OM) Photographing bright autumn foliage

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Photographing bright autumn foliage
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 09:33:15 -0500
Fall colors (reds, oranges and yellows) aren't really handled well by
digital capture. I can give all the scientific reasons why, but the point is
that the gamut for these colors is rather limited as compared to most any
color film. OK, Kodak Gold 200 pretty well stinks, but you get the idea.

It is not uncommon to have to underexpose fall foilage by up to two stops to
preserve details with digital. With film, you generally have the ability to
lean into the exposure a bit and it will preserve the tonal and color
gradients.

I'll give one textual example:

Reds. When you blow reds, they transition to yellow. The Olympus E-system is
especially prone to this. If they don't go to yellow, they just block up in
255.0.0 RGB value. A real problem when photographing tulips which usually
end up as featureless red blobs. The following zone-10 article illustrates
what happens when you blow the snot out of the E-1. I haven't posted the E-3
version of this test, but I'll just say that the E-1 is the gold-standard
for highlights as compared to the E-3.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=493&Itemid=1

I recently posted this picture, but will reference it again. Getting the
colors and gradients in the near-saturated colors would be difficult with
digital capture.

http://zone-10.com/cmsm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=495&Itemid=1

AG