Re: [OM] [OT] I need new glasses - please - what is the best lens materi

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] I need new glasses - please - what is the best lens material these days?
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:32:00 -0400
Ian,
   As a wearer of eyeglasses since the age of 11 years, I'm a big fan of
polycarbonate lenses and would never return to glass. Some of this may
depend on the strength of your prescription and the style of glasses. Mine
are -6 diopters so it requires a pretty hefty lens. Glass has a bit higher
refractive index than plastic but is much heavier. The style these days in
the US is for a smaller diameter lens so it keeps down the edge thickness.
Hopefully we never go back to the 70's look in eye wear (picture Atom Ant,
the cartoon character not the rocker). I have found the scratch resistant
coating to be very effective; I can't remember the last time I got a
scratch. Just be sure to stay away from cleaners with ammonia, it will take
it right off.

Charlie