[OM] Narrow DoF and FourThirds

Subject: [OM] Narrow DoF and FourThirds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 12:37:12 -0500
OK, we've all said it, we've fought it, and we've been tempted to go
full-frame because of it. That's right, it's the DoF and selective
background issue with FourThirds.

Personally, I maintain that it's optics more than format--even though format
does help matters as seen in the Bokeh Guitar photograph. Today, I've posted
a new photograph on Zone-10 taken with the Zuiko 50/1.4 mounted on the
Panasonic L1.

Things to note:
1. Metered by hand with the Sekonic L508
2. White-balance manually set for the stage lighting
3. Shot at around F2.8 to fatten up the DoF as it was too narrow wide-open
and she was moving so I needed to cover for focus slop in tracking the point
where the bow met the strings.
4. In-camera JPEG. Resize only. Absolutely no PP done to the image.
5. The purple is the LED background stage lighting.
6. I think that was at ISO 800.

A several personal thoughts about this:
1. The L1 is an extremely fine camera which met and exceeded my every
expectation--but that was already established in other posts.
2. Thinking ahead and using an incident light meter allowed me to avoid
bracketing safety shots and resulted in a perfectly exposed instrument. A
good thing, as I metered for the OM-3Ti first and then moved the lens and
same settings over to the L1.
3. The 50/1.4 is a blast to use.
4. The same settings (or as close as possible) on the 14-50 zoom lens
resulted in a substantially different picture--one which confirms the
general opinions about crop-sensor cameras.

As always:

www.zone-10.com

AG (sometimes not AG) Schnozz