Re: [OM] Narrow DoF and FourThirds

Subject: Re: [OM] Narrow DoF and FourThirds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 15:43:57 -0500

> I know it was the stage lighting, but the picture is too purple for my
> tastes, I would have adjusted the colour balance towards the warmer/
> greener side of things. In all other respects, a beautiful photograph.

Probably the saturation is a little steep, but if you look at the wood of
the face of the violin you'll see that the color balance is correct. The
purple was unavoidable as that was the wash in play at that moment. I did
experiment with a conversion to B&W with a healthy dose of gamma adjustment
and I do think I like it. I'll experiment more with it in PWP when I get a
chance. The purple colorcast did bite me throughout the evening when I shot
from the margins of the stage back towards the audience. Oh, BTW, these
shots were taken during warmup. I try to get my on-stage shots during
practice and warmup instead of during the live event--especially since it's
videotaped too.

> But your "Bokeh Guitar" from last week is simply stunning, I
> absolutely love every aspect of that image, it has real soul.

Thank you! I'm hoping for a moment this weekend to scan the negative and get
it processed for a large metallic print. I'm thinking 20x30 inches? 24x36
inches? I'm going to have one printed up for the house and another for a
fellow listee.  Hmm... Quantity discount, anyone?

> It really inspired my to shoot only my 50/1.4 for this past week, the roll
> is finished, will see if anything worthwhile printing this weekend
> emerges...

One of the things I try to do is inspire people to do different things.
Break the stasis and do something different. I'm really not that good of a
photographer, but I do try to disguise that fact by taking good
photographs.  Sometimes I actually succeed at this charade.  If I can do it,
anybody can.  :)  This is why the process is explained.

> Image aside, I'm really glad you got and are enjoying the Panasonic L1!

It's the E-system body that Olympus should have made instead of playing
copycat of Canon. The camera does have quirks--some of them can be just a
little irritating at times, but on the whole, the camera feels right and
inspires creativity and control. It surprised me how well the L1 and OM-3Ti
integrated with each other. There is little to no shifting gears when
shifting gear.

AG