[OM] Lens caps [was 250mm F2 aperture stops down slightly even wide open

Subject: [OM] Lens caps [was 250mm F2 aperture stops down slightly even wide open?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 14:03:35 -0700
On 5/6/2010 1:02 PM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> You know, I *am* desperately looking for a real Olympus 55mm cap for my
> 90/2.0, the damn cheap Soligor cap I am using keeps on falling off...

It's possible you will find one here, maybe even from me. BUT - I don't
recommend it. If you use the proper, deep, narrow hood, shared with the
135/4.5 Macro, getting a conventional, side push cap on and off is well
nigh impossible. Getting one to clip on so it doesn't fall off at random
times is part of that problem.

The proper practical solution is the Tamron center/side squeeze cap. The
name may be wrong, but the usability difference is night and day.
<https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tamron+55+lens+cap&N=0&InitialSearch=yes>

Cut out an Olympus name off something and stick it over the Tamron name,
if you need that.

I use a few of these on various lenses, including, of course, the
Tamrons that come with them. I used one happily on my 90/2, before I
sold it. They are inexpensive, well made and make me wonder why more
lens makers don't follow the idea. I'd have more if they came in more
sizes, like 49mm.  As it is, they do come in a number of useful sizes.
<https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tamron+lens+cap&N=0&InitialSearch=yes>

Hama makes some that look similar in idea, but aren't as well made and
have a functional flaw. At least on the 49mm size, the finger holes are
smallish and the tabs one is supposed to push and grip are smooth and
slippery. Frustrating when it shoots off my fingers into the lens or on
the floor. :-(

A. Capped Moose