Re: [OM] Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience out there?

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience out there?
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 07:55:05 +0200
It is when I see language like this that I become worried.

QUOTE:
The M Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mmm F4-5.6, perhaps unsurprisingly, has broadly
similar optical characteristics to its Four Thirds cousin, which is no bad
thing. However there is some penalty for the compact design: the extreme
corners are a little soft, especially at the wide end, and chromatic aberration
is noticeably increased.

Compared to the highly-regarded Panasonic Lumix-G 7-14mm F4, the Olympus also
holds up pretty well; in general it's at least as sharp in the center of the
frame, but softer in the corners, and at 14mm it's sharper right across the
frame. On Panasonic (but not Olympus) cameras the 7-14mm benefits from
correction of lateral chromatic aberration; however when tested on the E-P2, it
exhibits less objectionable fringing than the 9-18mm anyway.
QUOTE END

Knowing that sites like dpreview hardly ever directly say that a piece of
equipment is bad (they do not want to bite the hand that feeds them, after
all), for me this is codespeak for the lens being a dog.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain