Re: [OM] While on the subject of Aperture - anyone using nik sharpener 3

Subject: Re: [OM] While on the subject of Aperture - anyone using nik sharpener 3.0
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:58:59 -0400
I don't have a 5D2 (5D only) and know nothing of Aperture or Nik
Sharpener.  However, as I consider your complaint I suspect that you are
confusing what is called by Bruce Fraser "capture sharpening" with
"output sharpening".

Capture sharpening is very subtle and can be performed on a raw file as
is done by Adobe Camera Raw.  This level of sharpening is very subtle
and is to be performed at a minimum of 100% and perhaps as much as 400%
image size.  While Fraser goes into some detailed objectives for this
level of sharpening its fundamental purpose is to zero in and first do
noise cleanup and sharpening at the pixel level in order to prepare the
image for the second stage of sharpening called "output sharpening".
This level of sharpening is *not visible* to the eye on a downsized
image for print.  If you are only sharpening during the raw image
processing then I suspect your real problem is that you're only doing
capture sharpening and aren't doing any output sharpening at all.

As you have hinted, output sharpening is only to be done to a specific
image which has been cropped and sized and possibly resampled for a
specific print size.  Only then is it ready to be output sharpened.
Fraser spends a large part of his book "Real World Image Sharpening with
Adobe PhotoShop X" (where X can be CS2 or CS3 since he died just before
CS3 was released) discussing how to do proper output sharpening but I
have summarized here before a simplified take on his procedure.

1) Crop and resize the image to final output pixel dimensions.  For
example, an 8x10" print at 300 ppi should be 2400x3000 pixels.

2) Display the image on screen at roughly 25-35%.  The reason for doing
this is to compensate for the large pixels on the screen relative to the
small dots in a print.  His actual rule is to display according to a
percentage given by 100 x screen resolution / print resolution
So, for a typical screen resolving about 90 pixels per inch and for a
print at 300 pixels per inch we get 100 x 90 / 300 = 30%.

3) Finally, sharpen the image on screen until it looks just very
slightly "crunchy" or just slightly oversharpened.  The reason for the
slight crunchiness is that the printing process will have a slight
softening effect.  For ink jet printing its caused by the ink droplets
flowing and spreading a bit on impact.  I don't know the physical
mechanism for chemical prints but it still seems to work the same way.
You need to very slightly oversharpen to compensate for printing.  Works
for me!

Chuck Norcutt