Re: [OM] Incident Light metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident Light metering
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:48:08 +0200
You are all making a lot of sense, yes, but there are very
few capture mediums which will not accurately capture both
a black jean and a white dress, in the same lighting level,
with sufficient detail in order to tone either up or down enough
in post-processing / printing to show detail.

Apart from B&W film which I shoot 99% of the time, which has
unbeatable dynamic range, I also shoot Provia slide film, which
has absolutely terrible dynamic range, but even so, with incident
metering, I have generally always captured whites and blacks
with complete satisfaction, assuming the black or white object
is in the same light that the reading is taken from.

The problems come when the white dress is in the sunlight, and the
black jean is in the shade, and *both* need to be captured.
Then you need HDR for digital capture, or negative film, or try your
luck with a grad ND.

Dawid