Re: [OM] OM-2S(P), shutter release (Was: Incident Light Metering, A mome

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S(P), shutter release (Was: Incident Light Metering, A moment of weakness)
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 08:18:49 -0500
Thanks Ken, Chris and others for the wealth of info!  Fortunately I do
keep an extra set of silver oxide SR44s handy, so that won't be an
issue.
As for cosmetics, I prefer my used cameras to be a little rough around
the edges (but not totally beat up).  It usually means that the camera
was used, and if it was used, well, it probably works.  I like my
lenses the same--worn, but with decently clean glass and no real dents
indicating that it was dropped.  That means someone was probably using
it a lot before me, and if they were using it a lot, well, it was
probably a good lens!
So it will probably make its way to John H (eventually) but only after
I've used it for a while.  I'll also give it the gray griptac
treatment, as I have my OM-1n and OM-2n.  It makes a great difference
in the handling of the camera.
For all of you worried about smooth shutter releases, I have a
suggestion: get yourself a Tom A mini softie shutter release button.
I got one for my OMs, and let me tell you, it makes a WORLD of
difference.  Other than neck straps, I usually see accessories as
unnecessary, but I promise you, I will never shoot without a mini
softie again.  It takes about a roll to get used to, and once you get
used to it, you can't go back.  It will make even a rough shutter
release silky smooth.