Re: [OM] Incident Light Metering, A moment of weakness

Subject: Re: [OM] Incident Light Metering, A moment of weakness
From: <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 01:25:40 +1200
Chuck wrote;
>  However, Olympus had not yet figured out how to make a really
>  low drain circuit until the OM-4T.  The OM-2s and the OM-4 (but not the

>  T or Ti) have relatively high drain circuits.  If you use alkaline
>  batteries (even when the camera is sitting on the shelf) their voltage
>  level drops fairly rapidly and falls below the minimum voltage the
>  camera's battery checker is looking for.

What I do with my OM4T cameras, is, when I have finished using them for
the moment,
press the <reset> button and turn the speed ring to RED B & 60.
That way I get months or years out of a pair of SR44 batteries.

I've never understood why some talented zuikoholic has not invented a
modification incorporating a microswitch ( there must be dozens that are
suitable) to switch the battery circuit on/off, for all the OMs that gobble
battery life.

AND

>  shooting with an OM-1 with mirror lock-up didn't help much
>  with vibration... especially with the 200/4 which seems to have a
>  sympathetic vibration.  The real vibration culprit is not the mirror
but
>  the aperture arm.  Releasing both 10 seconds before the shutter fires
as
>  the OM-2s does allows all vibrations to completely settle down before
>  the shutter opens.

I have also wondered why somebody has not developed a rotating device like
a circlip to fit over the appropriate part of (eg) the Zuiko 200/4, so that
just before making the exposure, rotate the device so that it depressed the
stop-down preview button. That would fix the stop-down vibration issue.  I
did try this a few times myself; but got distracted and now I don't recall
what the results were.

Brian Swale