Re: [OM] OT: Noise levels in light aircraft, was More eruptions

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Noise levels in light aircraft, was More eruptions
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 15:22:43 +0100
My son, a sound engineer, seems to think that 80 and 100Hz are pretty well
inaudible for someone of my age; but I don't need any assistance in losing my
hearing.  Back when I was on my first tour, on Jaguars in Germany, they made
cutouts in our helmets to accommodate the ghastly aircrew respirator (a
neoprene hood with integral facemask).  Since we didn't wear the AR very often
(thank goodness!) there was much less attenuation of noise with the helmet than
normal.  Consequently we all lost a bit of our high-tone hearing from listening
to the loud noises of the pressurisation system.

I'll wait for Ken to pipe up, if he knows something.

Chris