Re: [OM] SD(HC) to CF Converter Card

Subject: Re: [OM] SD(HC) to CF Converter Card
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:04:54 -0700
On 5/12/2010 9:16 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Check the actual JPEG file sizes from shots of the same scene shot by both
> cameras.  I suspect the P&S is using a lower JPEG quality level which will
> result in smaller files despite the slightly higher resolution.  If that's
> not it I don't know.

I'm sure you are right. The DPR review of the E-330 shows an average SHQ
file size of 5.3 MP, which would give about 3,000 images in 16GB. Like
the Canons, I assume the E-thingies use worst case when showing
remaining shots. If a very highly detailed, contrasty image compresses
to a 6 MP JPEG, that would give the 2,665 number.

The C8080, which is 8 MP with the same 3264x2448 dimensions has an
average size in the DPR review of 3.5 MP for SHQ, which would give the
much higher frame count.

Obviously, not all Oly SHQs are created equal, with SHQ for a DSLR to
having less compression than for a compact.

Rand E wrote:
>> ... I would guess that color depth would have something to do with this.

No, JPEGs are all only 8 bit.

Moose