Re: [OM] Extensive Mt. St. Helens pictures from the Boston Globe

Subject: Re: [OM] Extensive Mt. St. Helens pictures from the Boston Globe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 02:06:21 -0700
On 5/18/2010 11:47 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Actually all that got me doing was looking at the map and thinking it might
> be very nice one day to drive all the way up 101 from SanFran to Seattle.
> That looks like an amazing coastline.

Oh it is, it is. And a looong drive, as the coastal roads are windy and
slow in many areas.

If you really want to see all the best, you should start at Morro Bay
and follow Highway 1 up to SF., then continue on 1 up to Ft. Bragg. 101
is inland all that way. If you listen to Chuck, skip the part of 1 from
there to 101 and go east on 20 to catch 101 at Willits. 101 is still
inland for a long stretch until Eureka, but that's mostly the Lost
Coast, which is essentially roadless wilderness. From there, 101 pretty
much follows the coast through Oregon, but is then mostly inland in
Washington up to Olympic National Park.

I'd probably go east to I5 at Astoria and follow it up to Tacoma, where
the interesting inland water starts and goes on up into Canada.

I've not done all that, just the California parts and around Seattle. I
don't think I would enjoy doing it all at once. It's an awful lot of
territory with lots to see and I wouldn't want to rush by it all. I've
spent many days over many years visiting various parts of the stretch
from Morro Bay to Ft. Bragg and still find new things to see. Many parts
of that part of coast are just jaw droppingly beautiful.

Moose