Re: [OM] Extensive Mt. St. Helens pictures from the Boston Globe

Subject: Re: [OM] Extensive Mt. St. Helens pictures from the Boston Globe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 19:39:13 -0700
On 5/19/2010 5:23 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> If one is driving at the speed limit is it unlawful to keep driving at the
> speed limit and yet cause a six vehicle delay / line up behind you ?
>
> If so, the law is nuts !

I disagree, for practical reasons of safety, not moral or legal reasons.
Keep up that sort of situation long enough, depending on the folks stuck
in the line, and someone will eventually take a foolish risk to get by.

So which is more dangerous, the person in a hurry speeding on a clear
road in the correct lane, or the same person accelerating in the wrong
lane on a blind curve or hill climb? Even if you are harsh enough to say
the driver deserves the consequences, how about the innocent family
coming, within the speed limit, in the opposite direction?

In the real world, that kind of situation kills and maims. If I'm going
the speed limit or above and somebody comes up going faster, I try to
assist them in getting past. It may not be as safe as somehow forcing
them to slow down, which I have no idea how to do, but it's safer than
the other alternative.

I believe that is how the law reads in Calif., that holding up a
specified number (5?) or more is illegal, regardless of speed. Our multi
lane highways and freeways are also full of signs saying "Slower traffic
keep right", with no reference to the speed limit.

Perhaps foolishly, I believe fewer people injured and killed is better.

Moose