Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experien

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of the Gs? [was Oly 9-18 vs Panasonic 7-14: any experience
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 22:02:09 -0700
On 5/20/2010 12:37 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Oh, Yes indeed.  Find it highly distracting though doesn't bother the CFO a
> bit.  It suddenly worsened even on a DVD and as the Sony Bravia was under
> warranty called Sony.  First had the HD Cable Box changed out as instructed.

When we replaced our big, old, dead HDTV with a slim one, we developed a
lip sync problem. Carol and a friend who's often over noticed and were
bugged by it. I saw it when pointed out, but it didn't bother me. I
think that's 'cause I'm usually doing a crossword. I have good enough
peripheral vision and sense of the rhythm of most shows that I don't
miss much, but I'm seldom actually watching lips move as I listen to
them. :-)

Still, I finally decided to get to the bottom of it. It turned out to be
in the settings of the surround sound processor. Whit the old set, the
TV speakers were pretty good, so I was using them as the center channel.
The speakers on the new set, which has a bigger screen, but is
physically much smaller, aren't that good. So, I had found that
eliminating the center channel and letting the processor mix it into the
high end audio system handling L/R sounded better. But I had forgotten
that there is a delay setting between center and surround channels.
Oops. Set delay to zero and lip sync was back.

Probably not anyone's problem here, but it does illustrate that problems
may not be where you first suspect.

> The Comcast guy saw exactly what I meant and implied the HDMI standard hasn't
> even settled yet

HDMI is settled enough for ordinary HDTV. Because I could and was
curious about any difference, I wired my HD signal to the TV with both
semi fancy composite cables and an HDMI cable. I can't see or hear any
difference. That's one of the first things I checked for my lip sync
problem, not because I thought it was there, but because it was really
quick and easy to check.

In Sync Moose