Re: [OM] A 5D Mk II all tricked out for video

Subject: Re: [OM] A 5D Mk II all tricked out for video
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 23:35:55 -0500
>Credit Where Credit Is Due Moose

Well, I'm not blasting Canon for what they've done and I think I've been
pretty clear that a lot of the fault belongs to the buyers. It's like
General Motors--as long as people kept buying junk they kept making junk.
Was GM's producing junk the fault of GM or was it the fault of the buying
public for enabling them to do so? It wasn't until Honda and Toyota started
womping them was there any effort made to improving the product quality.
Even that wasn't good enough, though, because the corporate culture was so
poisoned by the "white tower" syndrome that it took Obama buying the place
with our tax dollars to even remotely have a chance to turn the place
around. The jury is out, though, on whether this experiment will yield
positive results. I'm not holding my breath.

Now, you could say that I'm being a bit unfair by comparing Canon to GM.
Maybe so. There is no denying that Canon is extremely successful for a
reason, but for the better part of a hundred years, so was GM. Success does
not necessarily mean that they are doing things correctly, but it usually
means that the competition is more incompetent than you.

Let's put the 5Dmk2 into proper perspective, though. It isn't the only game
in town, but represents the largest sensor version of the technology. Canon
wasn't even first to market with video in a DSLR. The Sony sensor'd cameras
have that "jello-cam" issue which is present in so many video cameras these
days (look at last-season's Ice Road Truckers" for an example of jello-cams
on steroids). The key competition for the 5Dmk2 in video is the Panasonic
GH1.

The GH1 is also short of several key features, but has distinct advantages
over the Canon. The sensor isn't quite as large as the Canon's, but isn't
tiny either. In fact, the GH1's sensor is probably close to ideal size and
that camera is also used extensively, if not more, for video production than
the Canon.

I guess, we all have to wait to see if I'm right or if I'm off the
reservation. If Canon does answer the needs, we'll see different viewfinder
options and liveview HDMI output for not just recording internally, but
external record devices as well as live broadcast or centralized capture.
I'm hoping that Canon delivers, but I suspect that they'll save most of that
for a dedicated video camera.

AG