Re: [OM] Some new E-1 shots taken in USA

Subject: Re: [OM] Some new E-1 shots taken in USA
From: David Irisarri Vila <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:39:39 +0200
Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for your nice words. E-1 Kodak KAF sensor has a super wide
dynamic range and captures plenty of detail.
I have tried almost all software packages and none of them is at the level of
Olympus software. The only problem related with Olympus software is that is not
prepared to intense RAW workflow. It´s slow, cannot save automatically .xmp RAW
adjustments for every file and menu/windows layout is disgusting. Color
rendition blows away any software package. I like also E-1 noise, I don´t like
at all Lightroom noise reduction algorithms giving a plastic look when you zoom
in. The image looks like synthetic and artificial.

There is only one software package that gives you even higher detail than
Olympus software but color is also very bad.
http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper.html  You can create icc
profiles but there is one drawback regarding to icc 3d-lut icc profiles. Color
posterization and you cannot get super smooth color gradients. Only matrix icc
profiles avoid this issue but color accuracy is much lower.
I bought this chart http://www.cmp-color.fr/eng%20digital%20target.html and
created an icc profile for E-1, modifying some 3d-lut tables for skin color.
Results are pretty good but I prefer Olympus color. I have learnt something
important about all of this. Color accuracy is good but the global color
appearance is the most important and here Olympus is the real winner. Have a
look to E-PL1 color rendition, wow!!! It´s awesome.

Olympus viewer 2 gives the same quality as Olympus Studio 2. No difference at
all. I think is an Olympus marketing movement. Maybe they want to launch a more
professional RAW software focused on the new forthcoming E-5.

Thanks again for your words.

Dave