Re: [OM] Permanent OM to EOS conversion

Subject: Re: [OM] Permanent OM to EOS conversion
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:37:28 +0200
I had been meaning to write an update on this and now seems an oppurtune
moment as I have four adapters now, The first I bought when they were
first announced was from germany and was quite expensive to buy but
really crappy aluminium made and of a different design to most available
now, it was very difficult to remove from the camera and I have since
not used it.

I then bought one from Rudolf with the Optix V5 chip, the adapter is
also of cheap quality and I had a lot of play between it and the camera
and it and the lens. However the Optix V chip gave accurate results and
I highly recommend that.

I then posted to the list my concerns about adapter play and the
consensus was everyone else was fine so thinking I was unlucky I ordered
another adapter which was similar to HappypageHK's offering but much
cheaper, the adapter looked the same as the Rudolf one and I still had
the play, yes I can tweak it to get a better fit but after a while it
loosens again. I also noticed that I got metering problems with this
adapter chip that I did not see with Rudolfs.

Convinced that my lenses are not all a different size to you all I found
a japanese elephoto one on ebay for a decent price, it is the same
design as the other two but the metal is different, it feels more solid
and heavier and more similar in quality to the olympus one for om to
four thirds and I am more confident that when tweaked it will stay with
a snug fit to lens and camera for longer. I have not tweaked it yet as
the fit is better than the other adapters with much less play although
there is still some movement if you move the lens relative to the
camera. The downside is it is not chippped.

I have not tried the cameraquest one but  imagine it is similar in
quality to the elefoto one.

So my advice is get a elefoto (or cameraquest) adapter and send it to
have the Optix V5 chip from Rudolf (HappypageHK) added, As the chips are
epoxeyd to the adapters I am plucking up the courage to transfer mine
from his adapter to the elefoto adapter

As for screens I bought a split prism focussing screen from china but
found it darkened the viewfinder too much for my eyes and gave metering
errors - I did specify I wanted it for the mark2 version, any way I have
now put the original back in.

IanW