Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 22/5/2010: battle of ideas on the T
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 23:44:48 +0100
Hold on there Moose, while I do not disagree withanything in your first
quoted paragraph there is a fundamental difference between 1) the
development of new words for new concepts and 2) the mis-application of
existing words to existing concepts, and I think you may be in danger of
confusing them (hard as it is for me to believe that of you).

The second scenario above has as its result the "desertification" of
language, as it strips the mis-applied word of its original meaning, and
leaves the language without the nuance that the original word in its
original meaning had.

To put it into a photographic context, it is, to my mind, the equivalent of
shooting everything in JPEG format, because nobody can in practice tell the
difference.  I think we do know different.

Piers