Re: [OM] Descreening a scanned image

Subject: Re: [OM] Descreening a scanned image
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:59:51 -0700
On 5/24/2010 5:25 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> ...  Focus Magic got rid of the regular dot pattern running through the image
> without much difficulty (radius 5 or maybe 6 IIRC).  That left an image with
> lots of white spots sprinkled about and very visible on the men's coats.

I took a shot at this using what I had. I got something that sounds
similar to what FM gave you using Lens Blur. It eliminated most of the
pattern, except for little dots. A bit of Box Blur too care of that, but
the whole image was left looking blotchy.

Playing with parameters in NeatImage took care of most of the
blotchiness. Bits of LCE and a different application of USM brought back
a little punch.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Harridge/Roper.htm>

Wayne, if you want the full size image, I will send it to you.

I may try Focus Magic, but for now I've both used up my interest and
suspect that all the real detail available in this particular image has
been retained. It does sound interesting, though, for higher resolution
images with fine screens. I've had less than complete success with the
descreen options in the 9950F driver and in VueScan.

Moose