Re: [OM] Non Bokeh 50mm F1.4 pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Non Bokeh 50mm F1.4 pictures
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 09:07:22 -0500
> Glad you're enjoying your 50/1.4 so much! Digital B&W, especially with
> coloured filters (e.g. red), is really rather poor in terms of resolution
> / noise compared to film, because - as you said - you are effectively
> blocking 2/3rds of the image sensor, whereas with most B&W films,
> even pure red light will excite all the silver grains.

The 50 was essentially stolen from another list member. ;)

The lower resolution is definitely in play when you use the red
filter. Surprisingly the orange filter had little to no visible
decrease in resolution. I have a theory about that, though. Either the
blue channel is not really used much for the calculated luminance
value or the orange filter has removed some chromatic aberration.

Regardless, the red-filter version held a few surprises for me. In the
past, I've attempted to use filters on the A1 and that was a disaster.
I've tried it on the E-1 but was underwhelmed to the point that I
never did it again. If I was to make a comparison to how the L1's
files look under red filter use, I'd say that it's actually kinda
similar to Fuji Neopan SS. That film didn't respond well to red
filters either.

> I always got comparatively poor results when using red filter (optical,
> or in post-processing) on my Canon 1D MkIIN files, I can imagine it must
> be orders of magnitude worse on a 4/3rds body.

No, not really. Sensor pixel-counts are about the same. Since I was
shooting at ISO 100, noise and dynamic range are non-issues. I would
doubt that the 1D and L1 files would be different at all, except for
how the RAW converter works.

> Still, your images look nice at on-screen resolution!

Thanks. They look pretty nice when pixel-peeping too. But as we've
talked about before, on-screen B&W and printed B&W are two different
worlds. A high-quality darkroom print is still the gold-standard.

AG