Re: [OM] B&W filters on digital [was Non Bokeh 50mm F1.4 pictures]

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W filters on digital [was Non Bokeh 50mm F1.4 pictures]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 00:35:17 -0500
I ended up not having as much time this evening for this project but
did get the raw files converted. I played around with the red filtered
files and compared them to a normal file converted using red
filtration in-computer.

This is definitely the worst-case scenario...

With the L1 files, I'm leaning towards the lens-filter version as
having a slightly more "wholesome" interpretation. The two files are
so close, though, that you're looking at the nuances caused by the
sensor noise. The resolution drop off is present, but in the mid and
high tones is pretty minimal. The problem is, however, that the
shadows go completely muddy! The big difference was in the sky,
though. The dreaded posterization showed up in the sky/clouds, but the
lens-filter version was just peachy.

The E-1 files had no posterization in the sky/clouds and the
tonalities looked pretty good all around. The red lens-filter version
is a total disaster in the sharpness department.

The A1 files were very similar to the E-1 files, but I don't think the
red channel is quite so fuzzy.

I'll go back and reconvert the L1 files. There is some form of
noise-reduction which is really making them look a little nasty when
pixel-peeping.

I only looked at the red ones tonight for all three cameras, but just
a glance shows that the other color lens-filters give a substantially
different result than the red filter shots.

Stay tuned...

They all look like TMAX 100, though.

AG