Re: [OM] Which Grad ND system if any do you like?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Grad ND system if any do you like?
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:44:12 -0500
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM,  <usher99@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Upcoming  trip means I should make a decision.  I seem to have much
> more time while away fussing with a scene than  than for PP at home.
> One time some quickly moving clouds balled up one bracketing of an
> otherwise very nice image--I could have largely prevented that .  So,
> if this way to deal with high contrast sky situations is reasonable
> which  system is preferable.  Cokin P?  Which company  for the
> filters--desire excellent QA if possible if putting another interface
> in front of a nice lens.  Hard edge--2 or 3 stop?  I think soft edge 2
> stop may be tricky to set up well.

Film or digital?  I guess it doesn't matter.  I prefer Cokin P, though
I have a set of As that work OK on my 49 and 55 mm lenses.  I believe
62 mm (35-80/2.8) was stretching it.  I only have experience with ND
grads.  (It really should be darkest at the transition and get lighter
to the outer edge, but the opposite is what I have worked with and
they do the job.  I think those that get darker at the edge allow more
forgiveness at the transition point in the image captured.  Works for
me.)

I have both 1 and 2 stop ND grads.  I have rarely used them together.
2 stops is normally the max for me (this is on transparencies).  One
stop is often just right.  I have never actually used ND grads with
print film, but I wouldn't use more than 1 stop.

With my digital set, I have gone to Cokin P because of the size of the
DZ lenses.  Anything more than 1 stop looks unnatural to me for some
reason with my digital cameras.  I generally hold the filter in
position with my left hand and use LV to figure out the transition.
Manual mode all the way.

I have made a mental note in the past to look for half stop ND grads
especially for digital shooting.

Joel W.