Re: [OM] Which Grad ND system if any do you like?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Grad ND system if any do you like?
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 11:08:48 -0400
Yeah, but you're talking extreme extremes here. Nothing wrong with
bending the bits. That's what they're for. It's how you bend them that
makes all the difference. If I'm working with real extremes, I'm more
likely to make two exposures, or more, on a tripod, and sandwich files
to get what I want. But the vast majority of the time I'm talking
about working in increments of less than a stop, or at most, a stop
and a half. The subtle differences ACR's ND filter can make are
outrageous. Especially because if I want to, and I sometimes do, I can
run an ND from the top going from darker to lighter, and from the
bottom going from lighter to darker, adjust separately, and get a very
nice effect. (With glass, you'd have to have a couple of filters
hanging off the end of the lens, and that's going to be about as
negative as any bit bending, if not more so. Not to mention you can't
see what you got until later, when you can't duplicate it.)

At times, my adjustment may be only a third of a stop or even less,
but that third of a stop makes a major difference in how the final
print looks.

Different strokes for different folks in different situations with
different wants, needs, etc., but as a rule when I'm in pretty-picture
mode, I prefer ACR and CS4, and I must say my enthusiasms for learning
the different things I can do approach your enthusiasms for that 3Ti.

Personally, I'm in favor of giving thanks that we have enthusiasms,
especially ones that don't involve blowing other people up, etc.
Nothing helps the old lifespan like a good healthy enthusiasm. <wink>

--Bob Whitmire
"Art's just fart without the eff."
www.bobwhitmire.com