Re: [OM] Can't get Olympus Viewer 2 to open

Subject: Re: [OM] Can't get Olympus Viewer 2 to open
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 18:17:28 -0400
What AS said except that I wouldn't bother waiting a couple of hours.

Assume you already have a copy stored somewhere as file1.  Download
another copy and assume it's called file2.  Then open up a command line
window and type:  fc /b file1 file2
which translates to: compare file1 with file2 in binary mode.

If the two files compare equal there are no download data errors.  If
they don't compare equal then wait a few hours and try downloading as
file3.  Then compare file1 with file3 and file2 with file3.  If you get
a match file3 is good.  If you don't get a match discard file1 and file2
and download file4 and compare again.

Your problem starts up again if you get a good match and so have a known
good file but Olympus Viewer still won't work.  It may have no bearing
on the problem whatsoever but my next question is why you're still
running SP2.  When visiting my daughter's house several months ago she
complained that her computer was acting very bizarre... not always
behaving as expected and running as slow as molasses.  It took a lot of
work and guessing on my part but I finally figured out that, despite
running anti-virus and anti-malware software her computer had been
infected by one or more viruses endemic to SP2.  I also discovered an
uninstalled copy of the SP3 upgrade package on her hard drive.  It had
arrived through automatic updates but she had never chosen to install
it.  After installing SP3 (and performing a few other minor steps I
can't recall) all was well.  I recommend SP3 before doing much else.

Chuck Norcutt