Re: [OM] OT Mail clients, was Which Grad ND system if any do you like?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Mail clients, was Which Grad ND system if any do you like?
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:16:56 -0600
It sounds to me like Ken has gmail get his email from his other
accounts, and only his gmail account is set up in Apple Mail.
Whatever email client that is acting as the aggregator, which in Ken's
case is gmail and yours is Apple's Mail app, can generally keep track
of multiple accounts and reply accordingly.  However, since Ken is
adding one more POP/IMAP transfer after the aggregation, that account
information gets lost and everything looks as if it came from the same
account.  I don't think that Ken's problem is Apple Mail specific, and
I would expect that all email clients would work the same given the
same setup.

In order for Ken to be able to preserve the account information, he
would have to set gmail to leave the other accounts' mail on their
respective servers and then set up Apple Mail to also have all email
accounts in it.  The drawback to this solution is that since gmail
uses POP to get the other accounts' mail, changes made to the other
accounts on Apple Mail will not be reflected in gmail.

Another possibility is that a rule to sort email into different
accounts based on the To address or some other information could be
set up in Mail to get around the problem.  Though I have an iPod
Touch, I haven't used the Mail client much and I don't know if it has
such capabilities.

Mark