Re: [OM] Mamiya vs. Hassy

Subject: Re: [OM] Mamiya vs. Hassy
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:59:30 +0200
What?! "coated with something haze-like"?

I have to agree here, Bill you are spewing complete rubbish -

The RB lenses were often innovative designs that broke the mould of the
typical Zeiss [Gauss, Planar, etc] designs. Even if you look at the
humble
old single-coated first-generation 127mm f/3.8 "standard" lens,
it's an interesting optical formula (or, if it's not, it's not
one I see every day, anyway) and the lens is actually superb in
all respects, including maintaining contrast in contra-light
situations.

The later C-series lenses opened my eyes to how lenses can and should
perform -always flawless. Some of them are ridiculously flare-proof,
and the colour and contrast is superb. You can point even their (very)
retrofocus wide-angle designs straight into the sub, they are far
more flare-resistant than, say, my OM 24mm f/2.0 at any aperture.

This stuff was not made for amateurs (like much of available 35mm
equipment),
they sit squarely performance-wise between the best of the 35mm lenses
I have used, and the best modern large-format lenses (which, contrary
to popular belief, are really on a whole different level to most 35mm
and medium-format lenses).

The only thing 35mm lenses generally have got going for them is absolute
resolution (though not by much) but in all other respects, they lag
behind
the more expensive MF and LF lenses made for critical use.

Dawid