Re: [OM] Which Grad ND system if any do you like?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Grad ND system if any do you like?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:15:30 -0700
On 6/2/2010 4:42 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks for  the comments.  I'm leaning towards giving the grad ND filters a
> go for this trip ...  Will prolly be 50% fim/digital. Moose will think I am
> nuts about the grad ND thing

Not nuts ... unless, like me, you tend to consider that a compliment. ;-)

It just doesn't make any sense from my perspective. If I have time to
mess with getting out a Cokin filter set-up, I have time to set up a
tripod and bracket the shot. Most digitals will automagically do
brackets for you. Combine shots by masking along the horizon/whatever
and you have the same thing.

Then again, I've never used them split thingies, so who knows what I'm
missing. I do have a fair numbers of filters of various sorts, including
a Cokin (P?), but very seldom use them. I'm still of the opinion that
the only ones really needed for digital color with proper technique are
warming filters for high altitude and polarizer, but only for specular
reflections and for "seeing through" reflective, transparent surfaces.
Haven't used the ND in the G11 yet, either.

> but I did just order a IGOTu for geo tag just like his--nice and tiny. Thanks
> again for the comments and links.

I keep forgetting the darn thing. Silly. Now I have Delorme Topo USA,
which is supposed to be able to use it to locate one on a map and give
turn by turn directions. Once they released the 64 bit driver, it does
connect.  It did find me in the front yard, but I've not tried anything
more ambitious as yet.

Moose