Re: [OM] IMG: Microcosmos

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Microcosmos
From: "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 13:52:57 -0500
I find it interesting that the OM system didn't per se produce any
badly-built lenses. Perhaps just a different era?

Dawid,

Jackpot! would you like to try for the big prize?

Along with the advent of wonderbricks, lenses were a victim of a new time.
The camera companies had realized that they were spending too much money for
no real purpose. A great example is the reasearch discribing how most buy an
entry level slr and the kit zoom never is removed, leading to plastic lens
mounts. At the same time, plastic technology had given us things like high
strength plastics, means to control shrinkage in manufacturing, and, last
but least, plastic elements.

Engineering and cost control hit a high note then.

Oly tried to give us cheaper options with lenses and a body from Cosina.
Look how things have changed there! Cosina is now the only Japanese producer
of high quality metal barrelled lenses. I'v got the M mount 15, and it is a
real pleasure, a trip back in time!

Billl Pearce