Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.

Subject: Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 18:42:45 -0500
That is amusing!  I'm currently looking at a facsimile of Shakespeare's first
folio where "Love's Labour's Lost" is written "Loues Labour's lost" -- my
recollection is that the possessive apostrophe is often omitted in Elizabethan
English, whereas the apostrophe to indicate an ellipsis is often included,
though not always.  As Ben Franklin discovered a couple centuries later,
printers/typesetters in England drank throughout the day, but I don't think
that explains away all of the peculiarities.  But one can make do without a
good many apostrophes if necessary (though I am not advocating that).

Joel W.