Re: [OM] [OT] LAN woes

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] LAN woes
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 14:10:16 +0930
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 05:44:02PM -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> <snip>
> All of this, as written, is probably a bit confusing so, to summarize:
> the only anomaly of the ping commands is that the laptop's attempts to
> ping the desktop are unsuccessful.  That probably goes hand-in-hand with
> the laptop's failure to see the desktop as part of the LAN structure.
> Finally the desktop can ping anything successfully and sees the LAN
> structure but can't communicate with the laptop.
>
> Does any of this make any sense?  If it weren't for the fact that the
> internet works fine I'd be blaming some network hardware.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

Hi Chuck,

I have seen symptoms like this when a device's  subnet mask is
incorrect, this  sets the broadcast address for the LAN, Netbios is a
broadcast based  protocol as are  essential things like  ARP which is
used to determine hardware (MAC) address<->IP address.

This would also normally inhibit access to the internet, as the default
gateway would be unreachable,  however, router type devices are often
set up to do 'proxy arp', which will return it's own MAC address for any
IP it considers to be off-net in response to requests. After you have
been browsing the 'net for a while  'arp -a' (from a command prompt)
will show mac addresses for things other than local machines- many of
them will be the same. If things are correct, the command  should return
only hardware addresses for the  devices in question.

My own personal favourite subnet mask error is 225.225.225.0 (I do that
all the time)  ;)

Of course all of this is moot if you have the 'assign IP automatically'
button set...

good luck,
davidt