Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.

Subject: Re: [OM] OtT Grad ND/ iPad/ Apostrophe.
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 08:20:02 -0500
Chaucer seems modern in comparison. The only problem for most modern readers is
a bit of vocabulary.  Once you know what "swyving" is (a fairly polite word for
the act) and that "nether ye" is a euphemism for the ers, it all sorts itself
out.  Makes one realize how much French changed the language.  I thought I was
pretty good at it after reading Chaucer and then had to read Piers Plowman.
The northern dialects were very tough for me.

I think that Shakespeare is modern only in the sense that once acquainted with
his works, we cannot let them die, and that does us some good.  He poured the
language into a kind of concrete and we do some maintenance as best we can.
Moreso the King James Bible.  And it doesn't hurt that Henry Tutor and his
daughter counted themselves pure English and had made enemies of most of
contemporary Europe at the time.

Joel W.