Re: [OM] (OM) web-pages: Flash or html ?

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) web-pages: Flash or html ?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 23:05:24 +1200
Chris remarked that 56kb/s is the legal max download speed on dialup in
the USA.  I get the same in my Christchurch flat, so maybe there is a similar
law in NZ.

ISPs here offer as many as 3 - 4 flavours of broadband, and of course the
faster it goes the more you pay.

I have noticed that in Christchurch, since about 6 months ago there are
regular delays when I try a fresh connection to the internet, or try once again
to download my mail, so I presume the ISPs deliberately retard dialup, in
order to irritate their customers into signing up for broadband.  The
Government Minister in charge of communications matters here recently
made some rash statement about getting fibre-optic cable to every house
within ??? 10 years. I think he said it would cost us $3,000 each. I can see
that happening like me flying to the moon - there are many more important
things for the Government to sort out first.

I'm very impressed by the speed Andrew is getting on copper wire in
Melbourne. Probably he's right; there could be other factors than copper
having the effect.  I've heard it said that the local telephone exchange has
only recently been upgraded to provide "caller ID" on telephone calls.

My partner's son is on copper broadband, and although it has stopped
repeated loss of connection, he is still muttering savagely about the slow
speeds.

Flash doesn't stop me making copies of images if I am so minded.  That PC
"Print Screen" button works fine, then I open Irfanview, and click on "Edit /
paste" I think it is. Voila ! There I have it. To some extent.

Maybe I'll post an image of the glasses without peer.  Until I found these
Swedish glasses, my favourite glasses were made by the UK glass-works
"Nazeing" near London. Their glasses are still very good, but these Swedish
glasses (I'm reasonably sure they are Swedish) are really nice to hold and
drink from - even when I'm sober :-)  They have a heavy base that fits nicely
in the hand.

Cheers (or Prost)

Brian Swale.