Re: [OM] Can't get Olympus Viewer 2 to open

Subject: Re: [OM] Can't get Olympus Viewer 2 to open
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 23:16:34 -0700
On 6/10/2010 12:45 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I am late to this thread, but I have a stupid question: why do you want this
> software on your computer in the first place? Since I switched to digital in
> 2004, I have received programs like this from Canon, Olympus, Leica,
> Panasonic and probably others, and without exception, they have all sucked.

There is a significant difference, though. I don't know about the
others, but Canon's DPP, whether one likes the interface or not, is a
professional piece of software creation, in that it installs and updates
easily, has no twitches or glitches and is stable and reliable. Oly's
software clearly doesn't meet those criteria.

On 6/10/2010 12:53 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> ...  I only know that if the Canon software did a better conversion than ACR
> I still wouldn't use it because the interface sucks in comparison.

So much depends on what one uses them for, and how. You use ACR, from my
viewpoint, as both image processor and editor. I only use it to process
RAW file into PS, where I do all the process/editing but WB and exposure
related adjustments.

So for me, DPP would be OK, if it did a better job at the key function
of conversion to PS/PSD. As it is, I use ACR because its default
conversion is better, to my eye, than DPP, and it does a better job of
guessing colors when recovering highlights.

> Lightroom or ACDSee or some such is all you need.

Ah well, à chacun son goût. I disliked LR a great deal when I tried it.
I tried ACDSee quite some time ago, and it didn't do anything for me.

Now I guess I will get to try out Capture One. :-)

Moose