Re: [OM] Can't get Olympus Viewer 2 to open

Subject: Re: [OM] Can't get Olympus Viewer 2 to open
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 23:33:01 -0700
On 6/10/2010 1:37 PM, Sue Pearce wrote:
>> ...why do I have to completely upgrade to CS4 or CS5 to get the version of
>> ACR that supports the E-30 ORFs?
>>
> Oh, that part is easy. Adobe needs the money to pay fantastic bonouses to the
> execs.

Well, Chuck and Ken have pretty much debunked Chris' conspiracy theory
about dial-up speeds.

I'm not out to debunk this one, as I'm sure the top dogs do want as much
money as possible. My personal gripe is that I think their upgrades are
overpriced.

Still, as a sometime software developer, and entirely a one man show, so
I know every aspect, I suggest another perfectly good reason.

There is little more frustrating, when adding/changing functionality,
than dealing with a fixed data file format or data interface. I can't
imagine over all the years of development of ACR/PS that significant
changes to the data/software interface haven't been needed several
times. But then the new PS can't communicate with the older version of
ACR, and vice versa.

Once you make that change, you can't do backward compatibility without
rewriting all the older versions of either PS or ACR. And that just
makes no economic sense at all. I can't see ANY business spending lots
of time and money to go back to rewrite old software just so folks don't
have to upgrade.

Just a Thought Moose