Re: [OM] New photography book

Subject: Re: [OM] New photography book
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 00:49:28 +1200
Hi all,

I don't want to prolong this discussion un-necessarily; but, yes, I did try the
"have you got a slow connection" "basic" link. Still didn't work for me. Not to
worry.

I use Opera browser ( not one of the "10' versions which suck bigtime, but
one of the 9 series).  It tells me how fast (in bytes/sec) pages are loading.
Even though (when I click on my modem icon) the modem tells me that I am
connected at 32 / 40 / 56  kbps or whatever, Opera often tells me that the
actual page is loading at 800bps, 1.2 kbps or that level of speed.  Oh dear!

So it seems that the copper wires / telecom machines are grossly
overloaded.  Thanks to Chuck & Ken for the explanations.

As for web page design. I do my own in pretty basic html. Javascript
requires more brain-power & time than I am prepared to invest in learning,
and the latest incarnations of CSS the same.  The only javascript that I use
is the image-swapping one that GeeBee uses in one of his self-portraits ( he
also uses a clever method of getting multiple colour bands in table borders),
and I don't use CSS at all now. I was never able to get it to work very well,
and I DID spend a lot of time trying to learn it from a book written by CSS
pioneers.  Life is too short for banging ones head against a brick wall.

What with partner illness and hospital time for her, as well as getting this
house sorted ( and some winter weather that sucks) I have done little
serious photography for ages now, and no change in my photography site.

By the way, Andris Apse, the noted New Zealand landscape photographer,
was awarded a pretty prestigious honour in the Queen's Birthday honour list
last weekend. To those outside the British Empire system this may not
mean anything - but it is a system which rewards people in a non-monetary
way; At the extreme, a person my be awarded a Knighthood or Damehood (
depending on gender (not sex!)) so that they are legally entitled to use the
word "Sir" or "Dame" in front of their name. The"Labour" government in NZ
abolished knighthoods a few years ago then the current "National" (read
"Liberal" or "more capitalist") government restored the system a couple of
years ago.

Other honours do not involve a new word in front of ones name, so are less
impressive.

>From later this morning I will be out of reach by 'puter for a few days.

Brian