Re: [OM] New photography book

Subject: Re: [OM] New photography book
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:03:02 -0400
Sorry to hear about your partner's ills and hope she's soon recovered.

As to the low data rate you are actually seeing vs. the connection speed
you need to realize that this may be the effect of multiple slow links
between you and the source or it may be due to error recovery (or both).

The transmission will include extra bits called ECC bits (Error Check &
Correction) that first will determine whether any of the bits have made
unauthorized changes in gender.  If the number of erroneous bits is
small the ECC data contains sufficient information to correct the error
on the spot.  If too large the transmission has to be rejected and a
request is sent to repeat it.  If the signal line is very noisy you may
get too much of this stuff which will slow your effective bit rate to a
crawl.

Given 40 or 50 year old phone lines with deteriorating insulation,
corroded and loose connections, etc, etc. it's sometimes amazing that we
get any working communications at all.  :-)

I just heard AG sigh and mutter to himself.

Chuck Norcutt