Re: [OM] New photography book

Subject: Re: [OM] New photography book
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 17:22:29 -0500
> Given 40 or 50 year old phone lines with deteriorating insulation,
> corroded and loose connections, etc, etc. it's sometimes amazing that we
> get any working communications at all.  :-)
>
> I just heard AG sigh and mutter to himself.

Most copper bundles over 25 years old use paper insulation. Not a
problem, really, unless it happens to be an air-core cable and the
compressor dies.

Air-core cables are literally air-filled cables which keeps moisture
out by pushing pressurized air into the cable at the central office.
We used to use lead covers on the cables. Easy to repair. When a leak
developed someplace, just walk this microphone trolley along the cable
till you heard the hissing and then go on up with a soldering iron to
patch the hole. Worked pretty good. But unfortunately squirrels
learned to like the flavor of lead and would chew it up. That's why
they got even more whacky.

AG