Re: [OM] An interesting addition to my kit . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] An interesting addition to my kit . . .
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:26:01 +1000
On Wednesday, June 16, 2010, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Haven't been working at it have you?
> Handled a Red Bellied Black, come close to Copperheads, Tigers, Browns
> and Blacks in the wild.
> Noosa may be nice and sterile for the yuppie reffos but the rest of
> the wide brown land is chockers with things wot bite, scratch, sting,
> poison and so on.

Ohhh, you're such a cute, widdle, old teddy bear when you do your Mick
Dundee impression. Just makes me want to see you wrestle a croc, big
fella.

http://www.parknmeter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=237

Noosa's my place in the sun, but being a RAAF-brat takes you a bit
further afield than comfortable distance from a latte, and kinda stays
with you. Most of my snake experience comes from camping during
adulthood. But if you wanna say you've camped more and handled more
snakes than me, well, I cheerfully cede the dubious honour. ;)

>For goodness sake, we've got stinging trees and a
> lethal octopus! (Pretty little beast it is too).

Box Jellyfish, Irukandji, et cetera, et cetera. I'm familiar with the
marine unfriendlies, spent as much time in their environment as I
could (though got more injury from big surf than beasties), near-lost
a good friend to a Box Jellyfish in the off-season, and you can't call
yourself "Bruce" unless you've had to hand-untangle some bluebottle or
jellyfish tentacles from your legs every so often. Grabbed a handful
of Giant Stinging Tree once, stumbling on a track in Bunya
Mountains...that was the most hurty. I almost feel...blokey!

Still...soft, old Noosa, hey? Kind of wrecks completely the awesome
impression of hard-yakka, true-blue, dinky-di, red-blooded,
footy-lovin', Bundy-drinkin', manliness that people have always
assumed in me. Still though, I will struggle to proceed, ever the
disappointment. :)

Cheers,
Marc