Re: [OM] An interesting addition to my kit . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] An interesting addition to my kit . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:06:02 -0400
Yup, sounds like snake territory to me.  But I'll just add that after
living 1-1/2 years in Texas, about 11 years in Florida, 10 years in the
woods in Woodstock, New York (copperhead and timber rattler country) I
have never seen a rattlesnake or copperhead in the wild.  Now, when I
was in Florida and working as a volunteer for US Fish & Wildlife and
working the cypress swamp I used to see water moccasins almost every
weekend.  I even used to check the boardwalk for them and push them off
with a stick if I found one (pretty rare though).

On the other hand, I can't say that I've ever actually gone in search of
rattlesnakes except once in Florida when it was reported that an Eastern
Diamondback had been spotted a short distance away from the visitor's
center.  I really, really wanted to see one but the snake was smarter
than I and had gone into hiding by the time I got there.  Also, my son
used to tell me that there were copperheads in the small quarry behind
our house in Woodstock.  Warm rocks would be a good place for sunning
yourself if your were a snake.  I did look for those a couple of times
but never found one.

But maybe those Texas critters are easier to find.  I guess an old car
hood or fender would make a good place for cold blooded critters.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt