Re: [OM] (OT) Help with Google Analytics

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Help with Google Analytics
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 07:58:45 -0500
On 6/18/10 05:31 : , Piers Hemy wrote:
> Mention of searches being redirected makes me very suspicious.  Google
> Analytics does not run on your PC, and "sending info to Google Analytics"
> sounds like an untruth - which Ghostery might unmask.  I suggest a scan for
> malware using Spybot from Safernetworking, and installation of Zone Alarm so
> you can see precisely what is trying to use your browser to do what.
>
> Piers

He's correct.  If your searches are being redirected, then you've got a
browser hijack that installed itself.

Spybot is good.  I recommend a cocktail of Spybot, Adaware, and
primarily Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org).  Once you've installed
them, you need to reboot into Safe Mode (hold down the F8 key as soon as
the Windows splash screen shows up) and run them from there.

That's assuming that you can get to download.com for Spybot and Adaware
and the Malwarebytes website in the first place.  Most of these
redirects are smart enough to block you from going to sites that contain
disinfectant tools.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"The nachos are still good." - Jim Peterik

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard