Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again

Subject: Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:32:55 -0500
Just one note regarding this RAW converter thing. A clarification, really...

ACR has one very specific issue with E-3 (and rumor has it, several
other E-system bodies) files under a very specific situation. This is
an unique problem to portraiture and event/wedding photography in
mixed lighting.

If you work to get your skin tones correct, the shadows will pick up
colorcasts. If you work to get the surrounding colors correct, the
skin tones go to pot. With Capture One and Studio/Viewer, the colors
remain neutral and don't pick up the nasty colorcasts that ACR will
slip in. E-1 files are no problem, but the E-3 is definitely
troublesome in this regard.

For the "average joe" among us, this isn't anything to be concerned
with because we either are tweaking each image individually for some
"fine art" purpose, or are posting the images up on flickr or smugmug
where it's a non-starter. For the "one-off" I wouldn't even consider
it a problem in any way shape or form. But when needing to process
hundreds of shots and getting them all to look like they were taken in
the same decade, we need to get them all to be "print ready" right out
of the box.

One thing I'll say about the Panasonic L1 right now.  I can't get the
colors AND skintones to match the E-1. They both have wonderful
skintones and colors, but it's just that they aren't the same. The
Panasonic is actually a closer match to the Minolta A1 without the
green cast.

AG