Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again

Subject: Re: [OM] Viewer, CaptureOne, and all that, again
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 15:00:32 -0500
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/14/2010 6:32 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>>
>> ...  CaptureOne is *supposed* to have something that puts it in a category
>> beyond the other converters,
>
> Cachet ;-)
>
> I mean, it's got that black, different looking interface - and it's
> associated with very expensive, Professional, medium format cameras. So
> it must be special, no?

It is a comely interface, I'll give it that.  But I don't think Studio
*looks* bad, so I am apparently a terrible judge of cachet.

Before I write it off, I will have to find the patience to explore the
array of ICC profiles it provides.  For example, there are three
separate profiles for the E-1.  I don't see a big difference in their
effects.  I don't see a big difference switching to the 5D profile for
that matter.

More significant is the "film" curve.  But it's just a pre-cooked
curve.  People should learn to adjust their own curves. I have the
feeling that the disciplined approach is to switch this to "linear."

There is a tool that paints your blown highlights in red.  Useful, but
for the cost of admission?

I think I will continue to use it, primarily because I can get good
results with it -- and it does provide good results, just not better
than Studio, at least for me.

And if someone does not have Studio or disdains it, C1 can produce
virtually equivalent results for less (if one buys it at the fire sale
price).  But then there is Viewer 2, which is 98% the same as Studio,
for the price of inputting an Oly serial number.

If I had different brands of digital cameras, I might find C1 quite
attractive too.  People who shoot O and C and P might find it brings
order.  I don't know that it is superior to Aperture or LR for this,
however.  In my experience, it IS superior to LR (and other forms of
ACR) for critical color work starting from RAW.  As to file handling,
I don't know if it is better or worse and am never likely to care one
way or the other.

Joel W.