[OM] More iPad: Filterstorm

Subject: [OM] More iPad: Filterstorm
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:08:45 -0500
Found an interesting app that just came out for iPad called Filterstorm.  With
the camera connector (newly arrived) you can upload photos directly from the
camera and perform some rather sophisticated edits.  Has a good curves tool and
uses brushes for a kind of poor man's layers.  I like it if I could just figure
how I would use it.  Google it and watch the demonstration video if interested.
 Clever stuff.

No raw conversion, yet.  Also getting the image out of the device is tricky.
You can email the image out or use simple FTP, but not sFTP.  I thought I might
use this app in this scenario:  shoot raw +jpg, upload the jpgs via the camera
connector, tweak them in Filterstorm, move them to Jalbum, Dropbox, or a web
server via FTP to share images in the course of a photo adventure.  I am not
currently able to do this without a PC somewhere in the path.

The iPad has a photos repository which is part of the iPad furniture.
Filterstorm saves the photos there, but getting them to some other place is
nearly impossible.  I can copy and paste into Dropbox, but I can't get them
into a dedicated folder in Dropbox's photo folder -- not at least using solely
the iPad to do this.  I will try to see how I fare if I set up the folder
structure I want in Dropbox beforehand.

There appears to be a dedicated FTP app for the princely sum of 10 bucks (which
is a lot in iPad terms).  I can't yet determine whether it would solve my
problems as it looks to be simple FTP only.

On the camera connector, one reviewer has apparently used it successfully for
input of stuff other than photos, and it appears to work despite the IPad's
warning that it won't.  The camera connector has two pieces:  one that allows
the camera's USB to tether up and another that will allow one to pull directly
off an SD card.

At the moment I am just sort of having fun with the challenges because I don't
really need to do any of this stuff.  But if I could do it in a straightforward
way, I probably would.  I can't quite decide whether Apple has really messed up
or whether I'm trying to use a brick for a screwdriver.  Jalbum now has a web
app but it must require a browser plugin to upload photos, which is anathema to
Apple.  So basically the device has amazing potential and is crippled by
design, or so it seems.

Joel W.