Re: [OM] IMG Moose at Dawn??? [was List slow?]

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG Moose at Dawn??? [was List slow?]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:28:54 -0500
>   Well now you've really got our curiosity up. Are you sure it wasn't Coit
> Tower?

Um, quite certain. :)

I won't get into the specifics of my stories because I'd rather not
give anybody any brilliant ideas--especially when it comes to security
concerns.

BTW, this tower location is unique in the fact they are required by
local law to do RF measurements for human exposure limits. The good
thing is that you can stand at the base of the tower and be perfectly
safe...

...one mile away is another story, though. But the eggheads on the
city council didn't know that antennas are directional. Back about 20
years ago a test was done (and kept private within the industry) a
ways away from the tower and it was discovered that there was at least
one place you didn't want to spend too much time.

Then there was that thing about being close enough to the ocean that
it didn't make sense to waste signal that way, so the antennas were,
um, developing a cardoid horizontal pattern. But, the signal strength
tests for legal output were being performed on the null side. Then
came adjustable downtilt which could be altered throughout the day or
when measurements were to be taken.

I know of only one other location in the country that had such blatent
antenna alterations but that was born out of necessity as the building
they are mounted on has the unique characteristic of twisting in the
wind. Or so the excuse was...

AG

--
Ken Norton