Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh My Heart! [was Down the rabbit hold]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:36:31 -0400
Anyone on statins or thinking about doing so should see this page from
Beatrice Golomb at the University of California at San Diego.  She
studies statin side effects and the effects of lowered cholesterol on
the elderly.  This page is on side effects, common and not so common.
<https://www.statineffects.com/info/adverse_effects.htm>
As Charlie reported one of the lesser known side effects is on sexual
function and he is lucky his doctor was aware of it.  Many doctors are
not aware of anything except the truly serious side effects such as the
possibility of rhabdomyolysis (which can kill you).  One of my concerns
at the moment is a friend of mine who has recently been diagnosed with
early stage alzheimer's.  He had also been taking Lipitor for some
period of time prior to the alzheimer's diagnosis.  Unfortunately,
another one of the lesser known side effects of statins is loss of
memory and thinking ability including well documented cases of total
amnesia that were eventually reversed on discontinuation of the drug.  I
have suggested to him and his wife that I thought it would be prudent to
discuss this possibility with the doctor and to try at least a few
months with no statins.  I know they discussed it with him... but I also
know that he's still taking Lipitor.  Obviously he didn't agree. I'm
just dumbfounded since the man has never had a heart attack.

ps:  Charlie might consider taking her side effects survey
<https://www.statineffects.com/>

Chuck Norcutt