Re: [OM] IMG: Pest

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pest
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:52:38 -0400
It puts me in mind of a speech I once attended in NYC given by Dixie Lee
Ray <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixy_Lee_Ray>  I think the time was
1974 when she would have been chair of the US Atomic Energy Commission.
  But on this occasion she was speaking as a biologist which was her
primary occupation before becoming a politician, governor of Washington,
etc.  I don't really recall the subject of her talk except that
somewhere near the end she made an off-the-cuff remark that God had a
divine purpose for all the creatures he had created, even the least of
them.  Then she paused briefly and said she had to correct herself...
that there was one exception... the mosquito.  That was a creature that
had no purpose and no right to exist.  I bring this up since I believe
the Japanese Beetle is probably in second place.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt