[OM] E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: [OM] E-thingy body recommendation
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:59:50 -0400
Hey!  An actual on-topic question.

Someone on another list is interested in purchasing a used (read low
cost) DSLR for use in making macro photographs of his mineral
collection.  The samples vary in size from about 1/2 to 1 cm so I
suspect life size magnification is probably adequate.

Since autofocus cameras aren't exactly known for easy manual focusing in
a conventional view finder I considered that good live view might be a
strong requirement.  Also, easy lens adaptability for inexpensive MF
lenses, ext tubes, etc. would also be important.

That leads me to perhaps the oldest E-thingy sporting good, full time
live view for easy focusing.  External flash connector would also be
nice but not required.  Of course, a newer E-thingy which might have an
important usability feature over its older sibling might be considered
too as long as the body price is not significantly more.

Of course, some Canon and Pentax bodies might fit the purpose as well
but I think these bodies might be more expensive since being later to
the live view game these bodies would tend to be newer.

I know the E-330 is the first body to offer live view but is the E-420
the first body to offer full time live view?  By that I mean that the
camera can be used for composition, focusing and shooting with the
mirror up all the time as in a P&S camera.  No need to flip the mirror
up and down for focusing vs. shooting as in the E-330?

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt