Re: [OM] local Nova Scotia photos

Subject: Re: [OM] local Nova Scotia photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:21:32 -0500
> But surely your world view, expertise, gear and technique have improved
> since then, eh?  :-)

Not as much as the 25 years would leave you to believe.

My greatest fault as a photographer is my plagiarizing my own previous
works.  Now, granted, it hasn't seemed to bother Art Wolfe much, but
it does me.

My "hero" in the photographic world right now is our own Bill Barber.
I greatly appreciate his fresh approach to photography and never one
to leave a good idea alone, he's coming up with new ones to keep that
one company. Having custom printed some of his work, I'm even more
impressed than I was before. Hopefully "Think! Don't Spit on the
Floor" sees the light of day--one of the most frustratingly difficult
prints I've ever made thanks to variability in the dev/paper combo.

Me?  Not so much.  Most of the time I'm about as original as a Chicken
McNugget. I got creative back in my 20's and most of the time I'm just
retaking the same type of shot (maybe getting it better, but still...)
as I did then. The locations, subjects and equipment may be different
but the general concept is the same.

Not to say that I'm totally unoriginal, as there are a few things
going on to dispel that, but the problem is I long ago sold out and
made photography into a business. As such, I take the type of pictures
that I know will either sell or what the customer is wanting. So much
is formula-based it's just a matter of placing subject, yawn, light
subject, yawn, take picture, yawn, photoshop it, yawn and deliver it.
WhatTheDuck is a documentary of my photographic life.

AG