Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Live view operation, was: E-thingy body recommendation
From: "Rickard Nilsson" <rickard.nilsson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 00:52:48 +0200
Den 2010-06-30 22:28:32 skrev Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On 6/30/2010 1:07 PM, Rickard Nilsson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use my E-520 almost exclusively with OM Zuikos and almost exclusively
>> in manual exposure mode. It flips the mirror down and then up before
>> every exposure.
>
> Have you tried 'Imager AF' mode for the Live View? "in the new 'Imager
> AF' mode the camera focuses by using contrast detection on the imaging
> sensor (just like a digital compact camera). You can choose one of
> eleven AF areas (as opposed to only three when using the camera's AF
> sensor). Please note that only a limited number of lenses are currently
> compatible with this AF mode. "
> - <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse520/page7.asp>
>
>> It is very annoying, since it causes a very notable shutter delay.
>
> Using Imager AF for the LV setting should stop the mirror dance. There
> will still be lag from the AF in AF mode, as the contrast detection AF
> is slow. DPR doesn't address MF in this LV mode, but there is no reason
> for a delay that I can see.
>
> So try it out.
>
>> This issue alone is a major reason for me to consider a micro 4/3
>> camera,
>
> To repeat part of my last post, DPR agrees at least in part :
>
> "Ultimately, these drawbacks (and there are drawbacks to all DSLR live
> view systems) restrict the usefulness of live view. There are some
> specific applications in which it can be useful (such as tripod work and
> Macro shooting), but if you want seamless compact-camera-style live
> view, you need a compact camera or a  mirrorless interchangeable lens
> camera, such as the Panasonic G1 or Olympus E-P1, which have been
> designed specifically to use live view as their primary interface."
>

>> but I'm not entirely fond of the E-P2, so I'll put up with the E-520
>> for now. Maybe I should look into hacking its firmware...
>>

> Try Imager AF mode first.

I just tried it out. Regardless of the LV mode (sensor AF, imager AF or
hybrid AF) or focus mode (AF or MF) or exposure mode (auto or manual) or
lens type (OM Zuiko or D Zuiko) the E-520 does the mirror dance on each
exposure in live view. In fact it first flips the mirror down, then flips
it up, then exposes the image, and then flips the mirror down again. You
then end up in playback mode, seeing the recorded image on the LCD. Not
until you have waited a moment, or pressed the shutter release button
half-way, the mirror flips back up and you see the live view on the screen.
In fact, each time you go into playback mode or even into the menu from
the live view, it flips the mirror down and doesn't flip it up until you
return from watching recorded photos or exiting the menu. It seems stupid
to do all that extra mirror exercise.

   / Rickard